Sidewalk Astronomy this weekend

Morris Jones mojo at whiteoaks.com
Fri Jan 21 14:21:47 PST 2005

Will there be sky tonight or not?  It's hard to guess!  The forecast
calls for clear skies with foggy conditions.  If the fog isn't too
thick, we should have a good view of the not-quite-full Moon and Saturn
from Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena.

Which leads me to a great new feature linked from our website,
<http://www.otastro.org/> the Clear Sky Clocks for our usual observing
locations.

Mr. Attilla Danko uses forecast data from the Canadian Meteorological
Center to produce a graphical spot forecast of interesting weather for
astronomers.

The Clear Sky Clock predicts cloudiness, transparency (fog and
humidity), and seeing (wavery views or scintillation) over the next 48
hour period.  Here is the Clear Sky Clock for Old Town Pasadena:
<http://cleardarksky.com/c/OTPsdnCAkey.html>  He can explain it better
than I can.

Mr. Danko was gracious enough to add our two favorite sidewalk astronomy
locations to the list of Clear Sky Clocks.

So tonight (Friday) falls under the category of "look and see."  I'll be
out on Colorado in the early evening, and if it looks like there will be
some sky, then we'll certainly set up the telescopes.

Saturday evening conditions look a bit better, so we'll be hopeful at
Library Park in Monrovia, at Myrtle and Lime.

Hope to see you there!

Best regards,
Mojo
--