Sidewalk Astronomy tonight in Monrovia

Morris Jones mojo at whiteoaks.com
Sat Jan 22 13:33:51 PST 2005

John Dobson will be joining us again tonight (Saturday) in Monrovia at
Myrtle and Lime.

For those who haven't met John, this is a special treat.  He is one of
the founders of the Sidewalk Astronomers, and famous worldwide as the
inventor of the sidewalk telescope we all call the dobsonian.  His
favorite thing (or maybe second to discussing physics and cosmology) is
setting up one of his telescopes on a sidewalk and showing the Moon or
Saturn.  John will be turning 90 this year, and puts us all to shame
with his energy, charm, and enthusiasm.

Last night we had a record for Colorado Blvd. with 471 people stopping
by the telescope for eye-popping views of the Moon and Saturn.  The
foggy conditions indicate the kind of calm still air that makes all
those great details pop out on the Moon and bright planets.

Tonight should be about as good as last night, and if I can track it
down, we'll have the added treat of Comet Machholz to show.  This
fuzzball comet was a real hit last weekend.  It was discovered about six
months ago by our friend astronomer Don Machholz from Colfax, California.

We'll be out from about 6:00 p.m. 'til 9:00 p.m. tonight at the corner
of Myrtle and Lime, Library Park, Monrovia.

Best regards,
Mojo
--
Morris Jones