Dreary weekend, astronomy wise

Morris Jones mojo at whiteoaks.com
Fri Mar 18 09:17:32 PST 2005

We were really hoping to get in some sidewalk time this weekend, with an
excellent first-quarter Moon nearly overhead in the sky, and Saturn
keeping up its grand appearance.

At least we were able to get in an excellent school visit -- science
night at La Fetra Elementary in Glendora last Tuesday evening.  We had a
perfect night with clear skies and good seeing.  Over 300 kids, parents,
and teachers stopped by for looks at Saturn.

So we're rained out this weekend.  Next week (Easter weekend) we'll be
visiting Anza-Borrego state park, staying at the Borrego Springs resort,
and hopefully setting up telescopes to view and show the Moon, Saturn,
Jupiter, and maybe a few interesting deep sky objects.  During the day
we'll be enjoying the desert wildflowers.

New information is available on the web site <http://www.otastro.org>
about April sidewalk astronomy, and summertime dark sky astronomy in the
national parks.  Jane and I plan to visit Grand Canyon, Joshua Tree, and
Yosemite on several occasions this summer with telescopes and step
ladders in tow.

If you're planning to get out from under the Los Angeles light dome this
summer, drop me a note and I might be have some suggestions for viewing
the universe beyond this little solar system.

I'll paraphrase a quote by John Dobson:  A park ranger wondering about
the use of telescopes in his park asked, "Do you believe the sky is part
of the park?"

John replied, "Oh certainly not!  The park is part of the sky!"

Best regards,
Mojo
--
Morris Jones