Sidewalk astronomy this weekend -- it's Saturn season!

Morris Jones mojo at whiteoaks.com
Fri Feb 3 09:15:18 PST 2006

The forecast tonight (Friday) looks very promising for sidewalk
astronomy in Old Town Pasadena.

We plan to be there from about 6:30 'til 10:00 p.m. on Colorado Blvd.
within a block either side of Delacey -- that's somewhere between Fair
Oaks and Pasadena Ave.  (It depends on where we find parking!)

We usually set up on the north side of the street, and we plan to do so
again tonight -- but there's one thing that might change that.  Both
Saturn and the Moon are very much in the northern part of the ecliptic
tonight.  With Saturn rising shortly after sunset, it'll be appearing on
the horizon somewhat north of east.  That means from the north side of
the street it'll be blocked by buildings for much of the early part of
the evening.

The Moon will be very high in the sky, so it may be visible from both
sides of the street.

We're more familiar with the north side of the street, so that's our
preference.  But if you don't find us there, look across the street for
two large telescopes!

Tomorrow evening's weather is a bit more problematic for the Monrovia
outing.  I'll send an update on Saturday.

In any event, it's definitely Saturn season.  Hope you can join us for a
look!

Here's our approximate location on Google Maps:
<http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=75+W+Colorado+Blvd.,+Pasadena,+CA&ll=34.145886,-118.152495&spn=0.004777,0.01236>

Best regards,
Mojo
--