What's Up this month? Lots!

Jane Houston Jones jane at whiteoaks.com
Sat Dec 11 09:05:15 PST 2010

Hi everyone, we had several really successful November sidewalk
astronomy events, and now we're halfway through December.  Some of our
members will be out at Monrovia's Library park both Saturday the 11th
and the 18th so stop by for views of Jupiter and the moon.  6:30 to 8:30
is the timeframe on both nights.

So what else is up this month?

Geminid meteor shower peaks the morning of the 14th PST.  The night of
the 13th/morning of the 14th actually, with the best viewing after the
moon sets about 2am to dawn.
More info here: http://www.nasa.gov/connect/chat/geminids2010.html
And even more info here
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/06dec_geminids/

We have a total lunar eclipse on winter solstice, December 20/21.  For
us on the west coast, totality lasts from about 11:30 p.m. to 12:45 am.
onthe 20th.  Start watching at about 10:30 p.m. to see the earth's
shadow "bite" the moon. Look for a trio montage of lunar eclipse images
at the beginning of the podcast. They were taken by our own sidewalk
astronomer Dave Hasenauer of Monrovia!  :-) You can just step outside
and look up, weather permitting. The moon will be nice and high!

The total lunar eclipse is the topic of my podcast this month, available
in these many formats:

The NASA page
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/podcasting/whatsup_index.html where you
can subscribe to it on iTunes

On the front of the JPL website: http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/

YouTube http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JPLnews#p/u/0/wRkCyfIxPpE
(this is easiest to share with friends, as it is just one click, my
folks like this one the best. )

The my NASA blog and podcast page has all the podcast in the series (now
halfway through the 4th year), educational activities, including a moon
cookie recipe  this month, links to NASA's detailed Eclipse page and
more, plus the most versions (gif, to HD)
http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/whatsup-archive.cfm

So happy late fall and winter skywatching, everyone!!

Monrovia, CA
My What's Up Podcast: December- A Lunar Eclipse!
NASA http://is.gd/igv0r Youtube http://is.gd/igv4X
Twitter: http://twitter.com/jhjones /CassiniSaturn /otastro
Blog: http://jane.whiteoaks.com/