Mother's Day planets :-)

Jane Houston Jones jane at whiteoaks.com
Sat May 8 15:29:00 PDT 2010

Happy Mothers day everyone!

For you early risers, at dawn on Sunday, May 9th--Mother's Day--the
crescent Moon and Jupiter are getting together for a lovely conjunction.
Only 5 degrees will separate the two bright celestial delights as they
hang together in the sunrise-colored sky. Look for Jupiter below the
moon - about the distance of your fist, held  up to the sky.

If you don't get up early, enjoy the planetary lineup tonight (or any
night now).  Bright Venus is lower and brighter, Saturn and Mars are
higher - Mars is overhead slightly to the west. Wendy took her telescope
out to the desert this week and shared views of Saturn with her
archaeologists, geologist , botanist, biologist and other ologist staff
at their retreat.  Kudos to Wendy!!! She is an official Sidewalk
Astronomer now, and I'll have to make her a nametag and let her borrow
my big telescope now.  :-) .

Morning chart looking East
http://science.nasa.gov/media/medialibrary/2010/05/06/skymap_morning.gif

Evening chart looking West
http://science.nasa.gov/media/medialibrary/2010/05/06/skymap_evening.gif

Speaking of big telescopes, Mojo and I are all packed for a night of
desert stargazing tonight out past Indio.  It will be our first
shirtsleeve weather night.  It's short notice, but here are the
directions - you can send us (mojane at whiteoaks.com) an email if you are
planning to come out.  Bring lots of water, gonna be hot out there!!!
http://www.otastro.org/chuckwalla.html

Next weekend, which is our usual new moon outing is also JPL Open House
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/events/open-house.cfm, so I am working all
weekend and can't go play with the stars.  :-(

Come see me in the solar system exhibit.  I will be cross dressing (as
Galileo) with a replica of his telescope.  Something like this
http://photo.whiteoaks.com/2010-03-03-LPSC/slides/IMG_5668.html, but
nicer thanks to my sidewalk buddy Caroline, who is helping with some
17th century accessories :-)

--
Jane Houston Jones
Monrovia, CA