Herpetology meeting tonight at Eaton Canyon, sidewalk astronomy on the weekend

Jane Houston Jones jane at whiteoaks.com
Thu May 20 10:07:57 PDT 2010

Hi everyone!

We've conducted a couple "Herping Star parties" with the SW Herpetology
Society - both astronomers and herpetologists like new moon nights.  :-)
,  I've attended one of their San Gabriel Valley chapter meetings at
Eaton Canyon Nature Center at 1750 North Altadena Drive, Pasadena. I see
they have a meeting tonight, and  I plan on attending.  :-) Might not be
your cup of tea, but it's a fun nature hobby and I am learning a lot
about lizards, tortoises and even snakes!

The SGV Chapter is having a Herp Show-&-Tell for our May 20th meeting -
meeting starts at 7:30 p.m. Bring your favorite, or your most
interesting, herp and tell us what you have observed and learned about
it. Please NO VENOMOUS in person, but photos are OK. Also, we have a few
raffle items for tonight's meeting. Guests are welcome!

BTW, here is my latest herpetology adventure - The Chuckwallas of Amboy
Crater: http://jane.whiteoaks.com/ :-)

Sidewalk astronomy this weekend - weather permitting, and  it does look
like weather will permit.  :-) Moon, Saturn and Mars will be on view.

Old Town Pasadena 7:30 - 9:30 - someplace on Colorado Blvd between Fair
Oaks and Pasadena Avenues.

Old Town Monrovia - 7:30 - 9:30 - Myrtle and Lime streets.  Could be
earlier if someone has signed up for telescope clinic - but I don't
think anyone has....Two of the regulars, including me, will be at a Girl
Scout star party Saturday night, but there will still be telescopes on
our Monrovia corner.  :-)  That's all for now.  Jane

Jane Houston Jones
Monrovia, CA
Latest Blog: Some thoughts about Cancer http://is.gd/c0wVU
What's Up May 2010? Constellation Stories http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/whatsup.cfm