Relay for Life, Eclipses, Transit

Jane Houston Jones jane at whiteoaks.com
Sat Jun 2 12:50:39 PDT 2012

Tonight Mojo and I will be at Recreation Park for Monrovia's Relay for
Life - our local annual American Cancer Society 24 hour walk-a-thon
fundraiser. Others from our group will be at Myrtle and Lime  from 8 -
9:30 tonight.

Walk with us, or look up at the moon, Mars and Saturn as other walk
tonight Saturday, June 2 at Monrovia's Relay for Life event at Monrovia
Recreation Park, 620 South Shamrock Ave. Please join us (look for
telescopes along the walk Saturday night from about 7:30-9:30p.m. as our
community fights cancer.
http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?pg=entry&fr_id=36809 .  It's a great
night for stargazing tonight!

In other news (sorry we haven't written much, both working super long
hours for the last month)

May 19 was our semi annual Mojave National Preserve Dark Sky Star
party.  It was great to see some of you from our list there!

Mojo and I got up early Sunday and drove to Mesquite, NV to see the
annular "ring of fire" eclipse of the sun and will get up at 3 am Monday
morning June 4 for the partial lunar eclipse, weather permitting.

Did you know eclipses of the sun and moon always come in groups. A solar
eclipse is always accompanied by a lunar eclipse
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47648602/ns/technology_and_science-space/#>two
weeks before or after it, since over those two weeks the moon travels
halfway around in its orbit and is likely to form another almost
straight line with the Earth and sun. If the solar eclipse is a
"central" one --- that is, either total or annular --- the lunar eclipse
is likely to be one where the moon will only partially interact with the
shadow of the Earth.

On June 5th 3 p.m. to sunset, witness a rare Transit of Venus - the next
one will be in 2117, so don't miss it. Safe solar filters on your
telescope, #14 welders glass or pinhole projection are required to view
the sun.  My podcast *should* be available Monday at the below websites
- it's all about the transit, naturally!

--
Jane Houston Jones
Monrovia, CA