Sidewalk Astronomy tonight

Jane Houston Jones jane at whiteoaks.com
Sat Apr 20 12:13:40 PDT 2013

There will be telescopes out at the corner of Myrtle and Lime Streets
tonight from sundown until about 9-9:30 p.m. depending on the crowds and
the astronomers.  So stop by for a great view of the moon, a last look
at Jupiter until late fall, and maybe a peek at Saturn rising above the
buildings. It should be a good night - the clear sky chart looks great!
http://cleardarksky.com/c/MnrviaCAkey.html?1

Mojo and I are in Florida visiting family.  We're planning to be with
sidewalk astronomers here at Lakewood Ranch, near Sarasota, FL.  But the
clear sky chart indicates otherwise tho' (all those white squares
indicate nothing but clouds and probably rain too)
http://cleardarksky.com/c/HRHObFLkey.html?1

Here's a monthly recap of astronomical doings all year.
http://jane.whiteoaks.com/2013/01/07/whats-up-in-2013-at-a-glance/

Here's our next dark sky public star party info. May 11 at Mojave
National Preserve, Black Canyon Campground. There is free camping but
RSPV is required as camping space is limited. RSVP with David Lamfrom at
dlamfrom at npca.org or 760-219-4916 More info here:
http://mojavepreserve.org/index.php/site/article/star_party_in_the_mojave_national_preserve_may2013

And if you are contemplating a getaway to Yosemite this summer, nearly
every weekend (except full moon weekend) from July 4 through Labor Day
there is an astronomy club doing a public star party at Glacier Point
both Friday and Saturday nights -- as shown in this beautiful video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhgR3zVfo-0&feature=youtu.be. The
Northern California Astronomy Cubs choose their first, second and third
choices for a weekend slot in a lottery.  The club we always go with was
granted August 22-23.  Moon rises fairly early, so it is not the clubs
first choice.  But there will be dark skies for a few hours, a gorgeous
view of Saturn, then moonrise near Half Dome through club members
telescopes.

Special announcement :-( Due to budget restrictions, plans for a JPL
Open House in spring 2013 have been suspended. If budget considerations
improve, JPL hopes to host an Open House at a future date, perhaps as
early as fall 2013. Please check back here for updates -->
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/events/open-house.cfm

--
Jane Houston Jones
Monrovia, CA