Astronomy stuff

Morris Jones mojo at whiteoaks.com
Fri Aug 1 13:09:44 PDT 2014

Sidewalk Astronomy update!

We should be out this weekend in Monrovia -- Saturday evening, about
8:00 'til about 10:00, at Myrtle & Lime.

Thing is ... the weather forecast is a little iffy! Right now, for
Saturday night, it calls for "Mostly cloudy with a 20% chance of
thunderstorms after 11 p.m." (Wouldn't that be fun, except for the
lightning.) :)

Nevertheless, I'll give it a chance, and post an update to the list
either way.

We should have a great crescent moon, with some excellent views of
Saturn, if the sky clears.

MEANWHILE Jane's "What's Up" podcast for August is fresh and just out,
featuring a little of my astrophotography :) :

	http://youtu.be/yLxtK2WDhU0

We spent last weekend at Glacier Point in Yosemite National Park for our
annual summer star party trip:

	http://photo.whiteoaks.com/2014-07-25-glacier-point/

And if you're outside tonight at 9:20 p.m., there's a nice bright pass
of the International Space Station. If you face South, you'll see it
rise on your right and pass very close to bright red Antares just after
9:22 p.m. Keep watching as the station experiences sunset, and fades out
completely.

Cheers,
Mojo
--