ISS pass tonight, Eclipse after midnight, possible comet sighting, Dark Sky Star party Nov 1

Jane Houston Jones jane at whiteoaks.com
Tue Oct 7 13:36:18 PDT 2014

Hi everyone, sorry about the cancelled sidewalk astronomy night Oct 4.
None of our astronomers were available that night.  Mojo and I were in
Hawaii, where we attended the Hawaiian Astronomical Society's monthly
in-town star party, however. We observed one planet, one star and three
moons (2 of Saturn's, and our own moon) in spite of heavy clouds, nearby
rain, and even a flood warning over central Oahu.

Tonight Tuesday the 7th, look for a 6 minute long ISS pass beginning at
7:03 p.m., reaching a height of 74 degrees, nearly overhead! It appears
in the SW and disappears in the NE.

That's not all!  There is a total lunar eclipse on Wednesday morning. If
the sky is clear, the entire event should be visible to the unaided eye
from the West Coast. The particulars are as follows (all times are
Pacific): partial eclipse begins 2:14 a.m., totality begins 3:25 a.m.,
greatest eclipse 3:55 a.m., totality ends 4:24 a.m., partial eclipse
ends 5:34 a.m. All before sunrise!

And that's not all either!  There's a partial solar eclipse later in the
month (visible in the afternoon of October 23rd). I'll send out another
email with save viewing tips before the 23rd., but my monthly podcast
gives some details.  You all know never to look directly at the sun with
special solar filters or glasses, of course.

I cover all these things in my monthly What's Up podcast, plus Comet
Siding Spring's close encounter with Mars on the 19th.  It's unlikely
that the comet will be visible, but I show where to look. If it does
make an appearance and I see it, or think you can see it with
binoculars, I'll be sure to let everybody know.

Another exciting month of astronomy is underway!

What's Up Video:  http://youtu.be/uPQh0JwfEh4
or many versions here, and check out September - it is still relevant:
http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/whatsup-archive.cfm

What's Up for October flyer, suitable for sharing
http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/docs/Whats_Up_October_2014.pdf

Mark your calendar for November 1.  Although this should be our monthly
sidewalk date, it was the only Mojave  Campground opening for our
twice-a-year dark sky star party.  Details here
http://www.mojavepreserve.org/, and although the November flyer is not
on the website, the May 31 flyer has directions and RSVP info. Free
campsite, Bring your own potluck, breafast on your own, RSVP is just so
the park knows how many people are coming.

--
Jane Houston Jones
@jhjones @CassiniSaturn @NASAInsight