Saturday Sidewalk Astronomy, two National Park dark sky events coming up

Jane Houston Jones jane at whiteoaks.com
Fri Apr 15 20:11:08 PDT 2016

Hello stargazers!

Saturday April 16th your local Old Town Sidewalk Astronomers will be out
in Monrovia, at the corner of Myrtle and Lime from 7p.m. to 9:30 p.m.,
or so. We'll be sharing views of the moon and Jupiter.  The wind will
mean the views will not be stellar (aka wobbly views), but the people
and questions will be awesome, and the view OK.

My April What's Up video is here - and although Mars is a treat, it's an
after-midnight treat for early risers. https://youtu.be/MmTINt3vCSwna

So join us tomorrow night!

If you can't, our 15th Mojave National Preserve star party is May 7. The
info is here,
http://mojavepreserve.org/index.php/site/article/star_party_in_the_mojave_national_preserve_may_7_2016
contact me to enquire about rideshareing.  A few people are actively
looking to share the cost and driving to Mojave National Preserve. Free
campsite and entrance, but RSVP, as there are only so many campsites.

Then in August - August 12/13 (Perseid Meteor shower weekend) Mojo and I
and maybe a few other Old Town Astronomers will be sharing telescope
views for the public at Glacier Point in Yosemite National Park. Getting
there is on your own, but Bridalveil Campground is the closest Yosemite
campground to Glacier Point. The astronomers from the San Jose Astro
Club are on park service volunteer duty (we are members of that club),
but every non-full-moon weekend from July 4 - Labor Day features a
northern California Astronomy club free star party at Glacier Point. So
make that part of your National Park Tour this summer!

Two things the Sidewalk Astronomers are world famous for is astronomy on
the sidewalk -- a la Myrtle and Lime Streets, and National Park Star
Parties. We make it a point to do both every year. Our star parties are
always free. No one should have to pay to see their universe.

Join us in the park - Library Park  and  our favorite National Parks
(Mojave National Preserve and Yosemite National Park), or at a local
school or park.

--
Jane Houston Jones
What's Up March 2016: