Sidewalk Astronomy tonight is cancelled, also supermoon demystified

Jane Houston Jones jane at whiteoaks.com
Sat Nov 12 16:00:45 PST 2016

Hi everyone and welcome new members from the Mojave National Preserve
star party last weekend!  We are already setting up the spring date
which we'll announce once its finalized. There were over 50 tents, over
120 attendees, a couple dozen attendees were urban youth, visiting MNP
and camping out for probably the first time looking through about 10
telescopes!  Article and photos
http://www.mojavepreserve.org/news/2016/11/7/promoting-the-preserve

We were expecting a lot of questions about the "Supermoon" at the
telescopes tonight, but it's super cloudy, so we are cancelling our
sidewalk astronomy -- we usually hold it near the first quarter moon
Saturday night, but we did Mojave non that night this month since the
campground was available. Both Sunday and Monday night will be about
equally good to measure the "full " or what we astronomers call a
"perigee" moon, so look in binos

In a nutshell a supermoon new or full moon which occurs with the Moon at
or near (within 90% of) its closest approach to Earth in a given orbit.
Dubbed so by an astrologer in 2011. Because the Moon's orbit is an
ellipse instead of a circle, its distance from Earth varies during the
month from about 225,800 miles (363,400 km) at perigee, or closest
approach, to 252,000 miles (405,550 km) at apogee or furthest distance
in the elliptical orbit. Changing the distance causes the Moon's size
and brightness to change as well. A perigee moon is on average 7% bigger
and 16% brighter than an average full Moon, but during an unusually
close perigee (the supermoon moon), the full Moon can be 12–14% larger
than a full Moon at apogee (farthest) and 30% brighter. There are nice
graphics and explanations here -->
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/see-the-biggest-supermoon-in-68-years/

If it is clear tomorrow, the full moon rises at 4:38 p.m. here in
California. The moon turns precisely full on November 14, 2016 at 1352
UTC <http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/universal-time>. meaning
the moon will reach the crest of its full phase on November 14 at 1352
UTC <http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/universal-time>. That
translates to 9:52 a.m. AST, 8:52 a.m. EST, 7:52 a.m. CST, 6:52 a.m.
MST, 5:52 a.m. PST. The moon will reach perigee – the moon’s closest
point to Earth for this month – within an one and one-half hours of that
time.   This EarthSky article gives a lot of other great information and
graphics! http://earthsky.org/?p=190918

There are 4-6 supermoons every year, so have a look, and do what I am
going to do -- make a moon measuring device and start comparing! All you
need is an index card shown in the Sky and Telescope magazine article
above, with some 5 mm to 10 mm slots cut unto it. 6mm is close to 1/4
inch, fyi.  Hold your moon measurer straight out, aim at the moon, and
see which slot matches the moon's diameter, write down the date, repeat
next full moon.  You can also hold your index finger out stretched, and
see that it covers both regular full moons, closest perigee moons, as
well as farthest away moons. :-)  Some astronomers hate the name
Supermoon, but if it raises awareness, I'm good with it. :-)

Jane Houston Jones @jhjones
What's Up November 2016:
Venus, Jupiter and Saturn + more meteor showers
https://youtu.be/aj7hDvy9bgI