Rain and late moonrise mar tonight's "Penumbral: Eclipse

Jane Houston Jones jane at whiteoaks.com
Fri Feb 10 16:14:53 PST 2017

If it wasn't raining, an unspectacular lunar eclipse would be nearly
over by the time the full moon rises at 5:32 p.m. tonight.

I wrote a little "Ten Things to know about the Penumbral Lunar eclipse"
article today.

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/2017/02/10/10-things-to-know-the-february-penumbral-lunar-eclipse
<https://webmail.jpl.nasa.gov/owa/redir.aspx?C=hJ06W8fhgGGIwmpq46cN2jQFIEiqizTH72PQnYXYfbM34kSzD1LUCA..&URL=http%3a%2f%2fsolarsystem.nasa.gov%2fnews%2f2017%2f02%2f10%2f10-things-to-know-the-february-penumbral-lunar-eclipse>

If you use the platform Tumblr, NASA has a nice product about the
eclipse here, and you don't have to be a Tumblr use to see it.
http://nasa.tumblr.com/post/157061320334/subtle-lunar-eclipse
<https://webmail.jpl.nasa.gov/owa/redir.aspx?C=rBy2H9omf2dAN486pO0nqzTGWS3EUUebCGZEIVJAotU34kSzD1LUCA..&URL=http%3a%2f%2fnasa.tumblr.com%2fpost%2f157061320334%2fsubtle-lunar-eclipse>
Finally, I really like the Time and Date website eclipse graphics.
https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2017-february-11
<https://webmail.jpl.nasa.gov/owa/redir.aspx?C=0K6xZpGe2cUCwBHrj-bdJdiKzJx1NBe52OplIwRycrk34kSzD1LUCA..&URL=https%3a%2f%2fwww.timeanddate.com%2feclipse%2flunar%2f2017-february-11>

Looks like our next Sidewalk Astronomy night will be March 4 and there
will be an interesting celestial event.  Around 19:09 PST on March 4,
the almost-half Moon occults the red giant star Aldebaran. This might be
a naked eye disappearance for the sharp-eyed.  Everyone else should use
binoculars or a small telescope. You CAN do this at home. If you can
find the moon you have a chance to watch the moon pass in front of the
star.  The time is the exact time for La Canada Flintridge, so it will
be a little different depending on where you are located.  For those
coming to the sidewalk maybe we'll have one of the telescopes with a
videocamera attached and a monitor to view this special event, so more
people can see it. Here is a nice writeup of who can see this event.

The reappearance is on the lighted hemisphere around 20:27 PST and will
require binoculars or telescope.  The color difference between star and
Moon will be striking. Thanks to Steve Edberg and Tom Traeger for the
heads up!

Jane

--

Jane Houston Jones