Sidewalk Astronomy tonight

Jane Houston Jones jane at whiteoaks.com
Sat Sep 2 12:26:55 PDT 2017

It's cooling a little in Monrovia, and we are planning another sidewalk
astronomy night at Library Park, Myrtle and Lime Streets, Monrovia from
7:30 until 9 or 9:30 p.m. tonight.  Sept 2nd.  We'll be showing Saturn
and the moon again tonight.  Many of you know I work on the Cassini
Mission to Saturn, and you may also know the mission will end with
Cassini entering and burning up in the atmosphere of Saturn's atmosphere
Sept 15th. Tonight will be the last sidewalk astronomy night with
Cassini in orbit around beautiful Saturn.  We should also see Titan
tonight, Saturn's largest moon, and the second largest moon in the solar
system, behind Jupiter's Ganymede, which is just a tiny bit bigger. Read
more, and see all the cool new content we've been adding to the Cassini
website all year.  Gorgeous posters and more!

Welcome to the many folks who have joined our email list since last
week's little article (and cover photo) in the Monrovia Chamber of
Commerce magazine Monrovia Insider. If you didn't get it,  or "filed" it
already, it will appear here on the Monrovia Chamber of Commerce website
soon. http://www.monroviacc.com/pages/Home  I had a lot of fun
reminiscing about how Mojo and I "discovered" our sidewalk astronomy
home in 2003.

As always, on the first of every month my What's Up Video is posted on
NASA and JPL's websites, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr
platforms! Here's the JPL web version https://go.nasa.gov/2gz0UFL

This month, I will take you on a late summer road trip, along the Milky
Way!  Nearly all the photos were taken at our twice-a-year free dark sky
star party and potluck dinner at the Mojave National Preserve's Black
Canyon Group Campsite.  You can find out more on our website Otastro.org.

Our next Sidewalk Astronomy nights are Sept 30 and Mot 28, not Sept and
Oct 15th as I erroneously published in the Monrovia Insider.

I'll put together an album of our fabulous eclipse trip to Idaho soon.
Let me know if you'd like to hear more about our Sidewalk Astronomers
clipse adventure.  Jane

--
Jane Houston Jones
Solar System Public Engagement