Next Sidewalk Astronomy Sept 30, plus some visible launches and ISS pass tonight

Jane Houston Jones jane at whiteoaks.com
Sat Sep 23 17:17:11 PDT 2017

Hi everyone.  We;ll be out at Monrovia's Library Pary Saturday Sept 30
from about 7:30 - 9:30 p.m., weather permitting.  Hope to see you!  I'll
have some Cassini End of Mission pins and stickers to handout to people
who ask for them.

Tonight at 8:06 p.m. there is an ISS pass visible from our southern
California location.  Look SSW - it will start to be visible 11° above
horizon, rising to 48°and then disappearing SSE after 3 minutes.

Later tonight at 10:30 p.m. Pacific time an Atlas V will launch from
Vandenburg AFB, which is about 170 miles nearly due West from Monrovia.
If you step out and look west you may see it.  If you do, let me know as
there will be a NASA launch (Insight Mission to Mars in May 2018) which
will also be an afternoon launch (I think)  from Vandenberg, and may be
visible from here too! We've seen Vandenburg launches from our driveway
in Monrovia!

Also a reminder November 11-12 will be our semi-annual Mojave National
Preserve star party, and begins our tenth year of providing this
fabulous public dark sky event!  It's free, but RSVP so the Mojave
National Preserve Conservancy knows how many people car
camping/attending.  Potluck item welcome. We'll bring the telescopes!
https://www.facebook.com/events/1923366914543228/

See you soon under the stars!

--
Jane Houston Jones